About the League
History Positions Join LWV Affiliates
The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
MISSION, BELIEFS, and INTENTIONS
The goal of the League of Women Voters of the United States is to empower citizens to shape better communities worldwide.
Suffragists parade down Fifth Avenue, 1917.
Advocates march in October 1917, displaying placards containing the signatures of more than one million New York women demanding the vote.
The New York Times Photo Archives
We are a nonpartisan political membership organization.
- ACT after study and member agreement to achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels
- BUILD citizen participation in the democratic process
- ENGAGE communities in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy.
WE BELIEVE IN
- respect for individuals
- the value of diversity
- the empowerment of the grassroots, both within the League and in communities
- the power of collective decision-making for the common good.
- act with trust, integrity and professionalism
- operate in an open and effective manner to meet the needs of those we serve, both members and the public
- take the initiative in seeking diversity in membership
- acknowledge our heritage as we seek our path to the future.
- The League of Women Voters believes in representative government and in the individual liberties established in the Constitution of the United States.
- The League of Women Voters believes that democratic government depends upon the informed and active participation of its citizens and requires that governmental bodies protect the citizen’s right to know by giving adequate notice of proposed actions, holding open meetings and making public records accessible.
- The League of Women Voters believes that every citizen should be protected in the right to vote; that every person should have access to free public education that provides equal opportunity for all; and that no person or group should suffer legal, economic or administrative discrimination.
- The League of Women Voters believes that efficient and economical government requires competent personnel, the clear assignment of responsibility, adequate financing, and coordination among the different agencies and levels of government.
- The League of Women Voters believes that responsible government should be responsive to the will of the people; that government should maintain an equitable and flexiblesystem of taxation,promote the conservation and development of natural resources in the public interest, share in the solution of economic and social problems that affect the general welfare, promote a sound economy and adopt domestic policies that facilitate the solution of international problems.
- The League of Women Voters believes that cooperation with other nations is essential in the search for solutions to world problems and that the development of international organization and international law is imperative in the promotion of world peace.
From LWV Impact on Issues, A Guide to Public Policy Positions
League and Affliliate Organizations
League of Women Voters of the United States https://lwv.org
League of Women Voters of New Mexico https://lwvnm.org
League of Women Voters of Santa Fe County https://lwvsfc.org
League of Women Voters of Los Alamos https://lwvlosalamos.org
League of Women Voters of Greater Las Cruces https://lwvglc.org